Yikes! Time is hitting warp speed these days! I can't believe my sweet bundle of joy is 11 months old now (since Sunday) and is heading towards toddlerhood at lightning speed!
This last month was a big one. Adeline grew and changed so much, did so many new things and her funny, spunky, loving, curious, thoughtful and creative personality really started to shine.
In her tenth month on this plant, Adeline:
- may or may not have said her first words. I'm not sure because she didn't use them consistently, but she did use some words quite a few times and in context. Many times she said "up" while she held her arms out to me, she said "bye bye" while waving to Daddy as he was off to work quite a few times and she has repeated "ball" and "bird" and "light" and "all done" but not used them by herself. She also says something over and over that sort of sounds like "da-day-a" while talking to or about her Daddy. She just started on the "M" sounds last week, so I'm still waiting for a "Mama" that she really means!
- had a week long obsession with lights - pointing out all the lights in any room and demanding that all of them be on at all times
- had her first immunizations in Canada, which made her so sad and confused, but she got over it quickly
- had an infant development screening that put her at or above age level in all skill areas
- perfected her standing and started to cruise, but still has quite a few things to work on before she's ready to walk
- learned to stand on her tiptoes so that she can get the few extra inches she needed to reach things on the table top and the third shelf
- learned to blow kisses, pretend to talk on the telephone (her hand or a toy held up to her ear) and fake sneeze (so so so cute)
- learned her first animal noise. Ask the question "What does a fish say?" and she does the sweetest little fish impression
- got really really scared by a toy that made a siren noise
- added a nice pat to her already awesome hug
- learned to kiss with her mouth closed
-started to pretend play with her softies - her puppies Coal and Snowy get lots of hugs and kisses and she also makes them jump, dance, eat and snuggle each other
- grew lots of hair and had lots of crazy hair days, which makes me think it's getting to be time for a haircut, but I just can't do it! Her hair is still very brown and definitely has a bit of wave in it.
- did her first painting and drawing projects
- slept all the way through the night, but only twice
- had her first trip to the petting farm where she got to hang out with baby goats and pat them gently. It's one of the places I couldn't wait to take our small person as I have such great memories of going there when I was little.
-spent 5 days without Daddy, which taught us all that Daddy at home is not just best, but necessary!
- ate and loved lots of new foods including her super special new favourites, roasted asparagus, garlic scapes, red peppers, strawberries and steak
- discovered her favourite Vietnamese food - my homemade Bo Kho (slow braised beef with tomato and lots of carrots, spiced with lemongrass, star anise and five spice powder)
- ate her weight in vegetables
- wore shorts for the first time when our weather finally warmed up and then went back to corduroy and sweaters when "June-tober" hit
- had a brief exploration of biting and pinching, but within about a week had learned that Mama doesn't like hurting and now she is mostly very gentle and gives sweet kisses, loving head bonks, nose rubs, light pats, awesome hugs and blows raspberries on you when she is feeling affectionate and emotional, which we realized was her main trigger for biting. She still gets into a bitey mood sometimes, especially when she's sleepy, but we're working on it.
- grew and grew and grew and is getting very tall and sturdy
- celebrated her first Father's Day
- learned how to take her pressure gloves and bandages off, but lucky for us she has only done it twice
- really got into reading. Many days after lunch for about half an hour I read my book and Adeline sits beside me and looks at her books. She also loves her bedtime library book time with Daddy.
- made the connection between the people in photographs and the people she knows. She carries around her laminated picture of her family and pats all the people in it many times a day.
- started to watch a little television. Oh, how guilty I feel about this, but she loves it and less than 2 hours a week won't ruin her for life, right?
- learned to talk like a pirate. A few weeks ago she started babbling in a low, gruff, growly voice sometimes, so now if we start talking like a pirate she'll use that voice to talk back to us. Cute, cute, cute.
- played her first musical instrument. I brought out my childhood electric keyboard and Adeline has been enjoying making some music. She even dances along while she's playing!
- got more beautiful, smarter, funnier and more curious every day!
I didn't think I could love this baby any more than I already did, but my love just seems to grow and grow and grow