The short version is, we don't know much, but here is all we know about our beautiful baby girl (yes, I think we've picked a name, but no, we're not sharing it yet. Thanks for all your great suggestions!)...
- Our girl's name is Khanh (pronounced in the northern accent as sort-of "Kang", we think) and it means precious stone.
- We have pictures of Khanh from when she was 2 months old and she is alert and cute and bald and chubby.
- She is currently just turned 9 months old.
- She is our second July baby and her and Adeline are almost exactly four years apart in age.
- She is waiting for us in the same orphanage that Adeline was in! Amazing!
- She seems to be a less petite girl than Adeline. At 2 months old she was above the 50th percentile for height and weight on the North American charts and was right near the top on the south east asian charts. For comparison, Adeline has always been at or under the 5th percentile.
- In the brief information we got under "Personality and Interests" it says that she likes to see brightly coloured toys.
And that's it. That's all we know, beyond a very basic medical report that the international adoption Doctor we consulted with said had no red flags and lots and lots of green ones.
BUT! BUT! On Friday - THIS friday - someone from our agency is going to be VISITING OUR GIRL! She will hold her and tell her we're coming just as soon as we can, she'll take some pictures and she'll ask Khanh's caregivers some questions about her development and personality. We're hoping for new measurements as I have absolutely no idea what size clothes to bring and I can't rely on what size Adeline was at her age. My secret wish is for even 30 seconds of video, but I know that's super unlikely to happen.
Seriously - I am SO excited. I'm counting down the hours until Friday and I can't seem to keep my mind focused on anything for very long. Of course things could go wrong and this visit and update could not happen. I'm going to try not to let that crush me, but... As we wait I've got so little to hold on to - just two pictures that I've memorized every detail of and a few sentences. I need more! C'mon FRIDAY!
Then once Friday is over, my next worry/preoccupation/obsession will be travel dates. Mid-May is the earliest we could get our invitation, but June is more likely and July isn't impossible. I want to go NOW NOW NOW, of course.
So how do I cope with the stress and keep happy hope in my heart? Crafting, of course. So far Khanh has a crocheted blanket, a shrug and a sweater and I have plans this weekend to sew a couple of blankets and a bonnet. Pictures to come soon!