Yes, we have survived our first week home!
Yes, things are getting easier!
Yes, things are still sometimes hard!
But it's good!
Here's a list-style update on how things are going...
- Adeline is happy to be back at preschool and happy to be going for outings and sleepovers with her Nana, and she has a lot of silly fun with her little sister. She loves to make Vivian laugh, to feed her Cheerios and to hold her hand and she often wants to be very close to her sister "because I just love her and she's so cute". Adeline is extremely protective of her sister and if a dog (even a tiny one) approaches the stroller when we're out, Adeline runs to put herself between Viv and the dog. Of course she still says things like "I don't want a sister". "We should send her back to Vietnam" and the most wounding of all "It feels like you're not even my Mama anymore". So it's still hard for my big girl, but as Vivian settles in it will get easier and there will come a day when Adeline can't imagine her life without her sister.
- Jet lag has been beaten, but sleeping is still an issue. Vivian will only sleep while touching me, for both naps and at night, which leaves me spending wayyyy too much time in bed and having absolutely zero baby-free time for either Lisa-time or Adeline-time or cleaning-up-time. Vivian enjoys David for long periods of the day, but if she's tired she only wants me, and David even looking at her in the middle of the night causes much dramatic crying. This is hard for me because 1)no down time 2)I don't cope well with multiple night wakings and 3)I sleep very very poorly with a baby attached to me. David has always been the "night time parent" because he's such a good sleeper and can cope with less sleep, but Vivian is having none of that.
- Vivian's room got finished while we were away and is beautiful. The crib is up and completely empty...oh how I'd love to see a baby sleeping in there!
- Vivi is settling in and is often a laughing, happy baby. She would prefer to always be held though, and except for the high chair and brief bouts in the exersaucer she is in someone's (mostly mine) arms all the time. We're working slowly on getting her down on the floor to play, but for now that causes LOTS of crying.
- Viv had a big doctor's visit today and barring anything strange showing up in the bloodwork, has been declared a healthy baby who just needs to do some catching up on gross and fine motor skills and with eating solid foods. Vivian only had her paperwork prepared for adoption because she was to be referred through the medical needs adoption program. She had two minor correctible needs listed in her medical which we were prepared to deal with once we were home, but it turns out that she has neither of those things and is a completely healthy girl.
- Solid food introduction has been...I guess successful, but it's hard as a Mom when you want your baby to eat and grow and she rejects just about everything. Vivian still spits out most things you put in her mouth and anything with too much flavour like fruits, vegetables, yogurt, etc. causes her to shudder and cry like she's being wounded, but she will consistently eat cheerios, toast, baby mum-mum crackers, mashed potatoes (with a few other things snuck in), homemade macaroni and cheese and tonight I fed her something that for the first time I would say she actually enjoyed - salmon! Yay for salmon!
- We are getting out almost every day. Adeline was a homebody and got very anxious going out when we were first home, but Vivian loves it. She enjoys her car seat and plays with toys and talks to herself back there, and she's very alert and curious in either the stroller or the Ergo. It's good for Adeline to get out of the house too and have a chance to run and play, so we've been going out just about every day.
- The house is a TOTAL DISASTER. Covered in dishes and laundry both clean and dirty, with toys on every surface and there is still unpacking to do from our trip. Oh well...there are more important things, I know.
Pictures to come soon..computer issues are keeping me from downloading our pictures right now. Trust me though...cute cute cute.