January has never been my month. As soon as the Christmas lights are down my mood always takes a trip to the basement with them. This year is no different, even though nothing is wrong and fundamentally I know I've got a really good life. School is good for both girls. Everyone is healthy. The girls are going through a very happy and harmonious period and are having long amazing plays with each other every afternoon. Violin practicing is going smoothly and Adeline seems to be gaining a lot of skill quickly right now, which always makes her feel good. David got a nice bonus at work. It's even been sunny for the first half of January. But me...mopey...unsatisfied...bored...unmotivated...letting the mess pile up as I lose myself in a book...wanting to change EVERYTHING...wanting a holiday...wanting wanting wanting, but not DOING anything. I know it's me, not January, but all I seem to be able to do is endure this month. February is coming. February is always better.
But for now, how about I resurrect a classic and do "Make My Day, Monday" a random list of ten things that are making me happy right now. It might be a stretch to come up with ten, but I'm up for the challenge.
- Vivian has been in a great mood lately and while we still have crying and tantrums, they do seem to be less all the time.
- Vivian hasn't had a cold in a month...this is AMAZING!
Uh oh. Am I really out of things already? Let's think...
- We were worried that our dishwasher might be broken but we just cleaned it out and it's working better than it has in awhile (although the oven is done for, the computer is on it's last legs, the microwave has been acting funny and our toaster only toasts one side now).
- It's going to rain this week, which should help damp down the allergens that have been making me miserable since December 27th
- Spring break and summer really aren't that far away.
- The girls have been watching "My Neighbour Totoro" together lately and have really gotten into it and it's often a big part of their play. I love this movie, so it's a lot of fun for me to share that with them.
- Adeline bought me yarn for Christmas so I've been doing some knitting lately, and I realized how much I've really missed it.
- A big shout out to Nana for having the girls singly and as a pair for sleepovers! Those breaks are so needed and so appreciated and the girls have a wonderful time at their Nana's.
- I attempted crepes over Christmas and they were easy and now they've become a Sunday staple at our house.
- The days ARE getting longer and even though it's only the middle of January I can already feel the difference. Turn, earth, turn! Bring spring back!